OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it.
Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Director, Human Resources who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: The Director, Human Resources will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer. In this strategic business advisor role, the Director, Human Resources will plan, lead, direct, develop, and coordinate the policies, activities, and staff of the Human Resources (HR) department, ensuring implementation of the company's mission and talent strategy. Leads by example, ensuring culture is built and maintained, through gaining trust.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborates with senior leadership to understand the organization's goals, objectives, and strategies related to people operations. Responsible for operationalizing and executing tactics, in alignment with our value of innovation.
- Actively builds social capital across the entire organization, allowing for courageous and difficult conversations with executives, peers, hiring managers, and their own team demonstrating our competency of leading.
- Ensures human resources department remains as a group of known, valued, and trusted advisors demonstrating our competency of teamwork.
- Develops, implements, and leads policies, processes, training, initiatives, and surveys to support the organization's talent management needs, in alignment with our value of integrity.
- Administers human resource programs including, but not limited to; total compensation (inclusive of benefits and paid time off); disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; compliance, productivity, recognition, culture, and training and development, demonstrating on our competency of organizational support.
- Prepares and briefs senior leadership on all initiatives, both current and new, and ensures collaboration and buy-in, in alignment with our value of together.
- Builds the world class recruiting organization. Develops and executes a pioneering approach to recruiting, sourcing, and managing talent, focused on metrics such as quality of hire, in alignment with our value of innovation.
- Develops and maintains departmental budget. Implements cost-saving measures, without flexing on quality. Ensures that every invoice and every cost that is run through the department is in alignment with executed contracts and agreements., demonstrating our competency of cost consciousness.
- Proactively solves problems. Unambiguously does not create problems. Pulses throughout the organization to ensure issues and murmurings do not manifest into problems, demonstrating our competency of problem solving.
- Creates an environment of focus and accountability, by modeling our values and competencies, demonstrating ethics as a competency.
- Conducts research and analysis of organizational trends including review of reports and metrics from the organization's human resource information system (HRIS) system.
- Monitors organization's compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; consults with leadership on policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, consults with leadership to assist in effectively communicating recommended changes in policy, practice, and resources to the executive team.
- Facilitates professional development, training, and certification activities for HR staff.
- Performs other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Must have navigated scaling human resources functions and people operations in startup organizations; tech startup background preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
- At least five years of human resource management experience required.
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP highly preferred.
- Ability to build cross-functional relationships across a multi-discipline organization, resulting in reputation of a trusted business advisor.
- Bias for action and transparency, with the willingness to ensure all the right voices are in the room in order to gain feedback and inputs.
- Results-oriented personality, with a proactive and creative approach to problem-solving.
- Strong interpersonal and business relationship skills, along with a clear partnership mindset and comfort working collaboratively in a team-based environment.
- High personal and professional standards.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organization's HRIS and talent management systems.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem-solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost-saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic, and deadline-oriented environment.
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.