OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Payroll Specialist who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Payroll Specialist who will primarily be responsible for the administration the company’s payroll. This position interfaces with employees and government agencies. This position reports to the Human Resources Manager. This role is hybrid and will be based at our Houston, Texas HQ.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Process bi-weekly payroll for hourly, salaried, and temporary employees over multiple states; including reviewing and importing hours from time and attendance system, entering tax and direct deposit information.
- Collaborates with Finance/Accounting and Benefits team to provide payroll reconciliations, demonstrating our value of togetherness.
- Provide service to all employees regarding payroll concerns or questions, demonstrating our competency of organizational support.
- Process information into government databases as required for garnishments, child support, or other court ordered levies.
- Maintain audit trails for all payroll transactions.
- Manage payroll filings, as needed.
- Implement and maintain payroll best practices to improve efficiency and consult with human resources team to improve payroll and HRIS processes.
- Resolve and develop solutions for escalated discrepancies identified in payroll processes; uncover the root cause(s) and take action to mitigate future discrepancies; and communicate findings and actions to Leadership, demonstrating our competency of problem solving.
- Evaluate and implement payroll/HRIS systems upgrades and positive changes, in alignment with our values of innovation.
- Prepare quarterly tax credit reports and submit to third party vendor, as needed.
- Respond to all unemployment claims with agility.
- Maintain employee records in payroll/HRIS systems, as necessary to improve outcomes.
- Administer the time and attendance policy and paid leave policy for all employees.
- Produce scheduled and ad-hoc reports pertaining to payroll and human resources requirements.
- Develop knowledge and expertise to serve as a department SME, including learning new tasks to gain deeper knowledge and insight, demonstrating our value of leading.
- Perform other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, finance or accounting or related field
- 5+ years’ experience in payroll processing and payroll tax reports or a combined equivalent of education and experience
- Knowledge of various payroll software, Bamboo HR Trax Payroll Preferred
- Knowledge of Costpoint/Deltek ERP system
- Knowledge of garnishment, payroll and benefits distribution
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task on multiple projects
- Ability to thrive in a fast environment and produce timely results
- Ability to demonstrate strong attention to detail
- Demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.