Overview: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking bold and dynamic Senior Manager, Payload Projects who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
Summary: The Senior Manager, Payload Projects will manage a team of high-performing project managers responsible for delivery of solutions for Axiom payload customer projects. This includes successfully integrating customer internal and external payloads into the International Space Station (ISS) and the commercial Axiom Station. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience integrating payloads into the ISS following NASA-established procedures and guiding both new and experienced users through the process. The ideal candidate will also be able to define processes and procedures for optimizing the payload customer experience on Axiom Station.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Build, develop and manage a team of Project Managers who represent Axiom Space as the primary company point of contact for the payload client after contract start, helping to lead management of client relationships and projects throughout their entire life cycle. Duties will include:
- Build, develop and foster the people, talent, & skills necessary to support management of customer payload projects for the ISS and for Axiom Station.
- Focus will be directed to management of the project manager team and effective resourcing of the team to execute customer projects that satisfy requirements and accomplish customer objectives
- Ensure development of core skillsets necessary to develop and document a detailed understanding of the client project including overall requirements, success criteria, and constraints.
- Organize and lead internal meetings to support payload development schedules, mitigate potential issues and develop customer friendly solutions.
- Ensure training and development to assist team in establishing and maintaining overall project schedules, tracking budgets, key milestones, and deliverables.
- Oversee management and review of proposals delivered to customers and management of project plans.
- Liaison with adjacent management, leadership team, and customers as required for staffing support needs, concerns, training, and improvements.
- Monitor status reports and coordinate projects with staff
- Develop understanding and be aware of respective project, program and company related risk.
- Promote continuous quality monitoring and improvement on projects.
- Responsible for creating and modeling a safe work environment; demonstrate safety practices. Promote pre-task planning for all projects.
- Model leadership values that align with Axiom Core Values and foster a supportive, positive, and collaborative culture.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in engineering, math, or science or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- 10+ years’ experience with flight payload integration, preferably for the ISS
- 5+ years of management experience leading technical teams larger than 10 people
- Experienced in customer interfacing role.
- Experienced in managing projects of different sizes from start to finish.
- Familiarity with flight hardware development and certification
- Hands on experience building, testing, and/or assembling hardware
- Ability to understand the impacts of the outer space environment on spacecraft, research and manufacturing systems installed inside and outside of pressurized spacecraft modules
- Excellent writing and presentation skills with experience communicating to senior decision-makers and technical audiences.
- Good leadership and teamwork characteristics
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional strategic, creative, interpersonal skills
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.