OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Engineer, On-Orbit System Maintenance & Repair who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Engineer who will primarily be responsible for establishing and implementing maintenance and repair concepts and requirements for the Axiom Space Station systems throughout its operational lifecycle. This position is responsible for supporting the Axiom Space Station design efforts and maintaining the hardware throughout its operational lifecycle. The Axiom Station Maintenance team’s focus is to implement a design for maintainability. This On-Orbit System Maintenance & Repair Engineer will help the team establish and implement the maintenance concept for on-orbit systems, perform design analysis and develop the hardware sparing concept to minimize system downtime to maintain on-orbit operations. This team will also coordinate the spares/repair component resupply to and from the Axiom Station. This role will encompass all phases of the space systems development process, including requirements definition, system and spacecraft interfaces, system and spacecraft design, assembly, integration, test, and mission operations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Integrate with Axiom Space Station subsystem engineering design teams to identify orbital replaceable unit (ORU) candidates (maintainable components) for all systems on Axiom Station.
- Conduct hardware design analysis to identify potential design modifications/upgrades to improve reliability and maintainability.
- Develop on-orbit preventive, corrective, and contingency maintenance plans for Axiom Station ORUs; coordinate maintenance planning and scheduling with Mission Operations team
- Conduct level of repair and maintenance task analyses to evaluate impacts on crew time, on-orbit stowage, and cargo vehicle stowage limitations
- Develop ground repair and re-qualification requirements for returned ORUs
- Support the identification, design, development, and procurement activities for ORU flight/ground support hardware and test support equipment
- Perform ORU and system-level availability assessments for Axiom Station hardware to predict system downtime and operational impacts; develop on-orbit and ground sparing posture to reduce risk of system downtime
- Perform regular assessments to sustain on-orbit and ground sparing posture; coordinate spare ORU procurement and flight manifesting with Ground Logistics and Mission Operations teams
- Present logistics and maintenance analysis, planning, impacts, and recommendations to Axiom engineering and leadership teams
- Provide engineering support for on-orbit maintenance operations
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (aerospace, mechanic or electrical preferred) is required
- 5-10 years’ of direct experience in maintenance planning and execution
- Background in aerospace system hardware and functional operation is highly desired, preferably in the human spaceflight industry.
- Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
Excellent interpersonal skill
Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
Excellent organizational skills
Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.