OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Principal Engineer (Software) who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: Our team is looking for an energetic and dynamic Principal Engineer (Software) for who will primarily be responsible for aiding Axiom in the execution of its missions and goals. This position is located in Houston HQ. We are looking for an individual who is passionate about customer service and excels at problem solving. The role requires strong organizational, time management, and communication skills.
The goal for this Principal Engineer (Software) is to provide software expertise across the Axiom Space Station Segment.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Builds the world class contracts management organization. Develops and executes a pioneering approach to leading the contracts lifecycle, in alignment with our value of innovation.
- Actively builds social capital across the entire organization, allowing for courageous and difficult conversations with executives, peers, internal customers, and their own team demonstrating our competency of leading.
- Works proactively and effectively across divisions throughout the org. Transitions contracts department into known, valued, and trusted advisors demonstrating our value of together.
- Develops, implements, and leads policies, processes, process improvement, training, initiatives, and surveys to support the organization's risk management and mitigation needs, in alignment with our value of integrity.
- Provide expertise in Software development and certification.
- Provide Senior Technical Leadership in the design, development, test, and evaluation of Axiom Space Station architectures.
- Provide Senior Technical Leadership to mature test facilities, test campaigns, and vehicle integration/troubleshooting.
- Provide expertise to assist or lead Integrated Product Teams as necessary.
- Provide expertise to conduct Test Readiness Reviews, Lab Operational Readiness Reviews, and Safety Reviews.
- Provide mentorship for Axiom System Leads and Managers.
- Provide accountability to the design through design reviews, Engineering Control Boards, schedule/budget/technical reviews.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, or related field required
- 30 years of experience in the aerospace industry or similar role
- Skills in personnel supervision, budget oversight, project management and quality control
- Experience with spaceflight software development and certification activities.
- Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and
carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent communication skill, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills
- Result oriented personality with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a team environment
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork - Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.